Tuesday 11 February 2014

Walk Don't Run!

I still haven't slept, I was too interested in the world below me as my plane for the first leg of my journey took me out of the dark and rain of England and into a most magnificent dawn over the Neatherlands, lighting up the fields of Holland with an oil painting light making it look like a vemeer. Earlier, the walk to the gate was one of the longest I have ever takern in an airport. I started off at the time the gate opened and by the time i could see it in the distance, the screens nearest to me was announcing that boarding was closing!!! I suddenly had this panic that after everthing I had been through i was going to miss the flight, the connecting flight and Brazil altogether, although my guitar would make it on it's own. So I quickened my pace, actually I did a silly little run, part desperation and part panic but I made it ok.

However, once i landed at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport I found i had a walk four times as long as the last and with about as much time as before. So I kept a pretty fast pace up and just managed to get to the gate as the boarding was half way through. Not much chance of going to the loo between flights. That's the thing about travelling on your own, you got to keep your wits about you. On this occassion, i ran on to the plane so fast that once I sat down i began to wonder if i was on the right plane and so ensued another round of irrational panic. There was no-one there to say, it's ok we are on the right plane dont worry.

Anyway, once I had heard the name of my destination mentioned by the captain, Sao Paulo is where I am heading, I calm down a bit and then realise to my delight that not only do I have a window seat (which I chose) but the two seats next to me, that was meant to be occupied, are not. Result! Especially as I am on this plane for the next 11 and a half hours.

Still haven't slept, too wired now to sleep but it is bound to take me over later.


 

No comments: