Friday 14 February 2014

Where's my silver lining?

Wow, these guys have done their homework, there is very little to do but enjoy the playing, they have done all the work and are ready to rock. They are  playing like the early Eighties Neurotics complete with Colin's backing vocals, this is beyond crazy, this is crazy, crazy and we are gonna be on tour together so the developing empathy could be amazing. We just played through the songs, one after another without pausing much. On a couple of them I led them through some very effective live changes we have developed over the years to enhance the delivery of the songs  and they picked them up right away. They are a great band who has played together for years and are all dyed in the wool Neurotics fans having listened to us for thirty years or more. Hypocrite is one we didn't attempt during the evening but we will on our second session tonight.
I was meant to be only half singing to save my voice but it was very hard to restrain myself. Also, the more exciting  the music got the more ill I felt which was strange. If it was on a graph, one line would be going down at the exact same time as one went up. There is probably a proper name for that sort of effect.

Finally, with much back slapping and praise being thrown around we packed up and started looking forward to the following day's rehearsal, although I was feeling really lousy by this time.

As a songwriter, it felt like a musical mirror had being held up in front of me and all that I heard was good. Very narcissistic, very rock 'n' roll.

Everything looked set and in place but I didn't notice the gathering clouds with no silver lining.

No comments: